Prior to 1910 there were two luxury trains in
South Africa; one the Corridor Express belonging
to Natal Railways, and the Limited Express operated
by Cape Railways. Then Rhodesia (today Zimbabwe)
launched the Tren de Lux, alias the Zambezi
Express, which ran between Cape Town and Bulawayo.
In 1903 Central South African Railways launched
its own version of the Tren de Lux, the service
that today is known as the Blue Train. In 1923
South African Railways replaced this service
by a faster train, and in 1933 named the dining
car after the famous flower, the protea, and
painted it blue. Subsequently another blue carriage
was added, and the name Blue Train was coined.