the southwest shore of Lake Beysehir is
a small verdant plain, beyond which rise the
foothills of the Anamas Mountains, a branch
of the Toros. Here, on the summit of a rocky
headland, are the remains of the 13th century
Seljuk palace complex of Kubad Abad. The palace
was built by the most celebrated Seljuk sultan
Alaeddin Keykubad in 1235-1236, and consists
of the Great Palace to the north, the Little
Palace to the south, and a shipyard beyond.
Excavations carried out here in 2001 uncovered
the palace baths to the east of the Great Palace.
The ruins and traces of numerous buildings belonging
to the palace are scattered over the site. The
remains of courtyard walls, ramps, water pipes,
fountains, and a harbour can be identified.
South of the shipyard was the royal hunting
park known as firdevs or garden of paradise,
where a dam created a small artificial lake
supplied from streams high in the mountains.