The statue became so famous that merchants and sailors from the four corners of the world called into port at Knidos merely to see it.
In the early years Knidos was ruled by tyrants, then from the 6th century onwards by an oligarchy, and from 330 BC by a democracy. Aristotle told his pupils 'True democracy is in Knidos.' The Asklepieion here was renowned as a therapeutic centre throughout the region, and famous sons of Knidos included Sostratos, architect of the Lighthouse at Alexandria, and the mathematician, geographer and astronomer Eudoxos, who at the age of 22 met Plato. During the 7th century BC the population of the peninsular rose to between 70,000 and 80,000, as trade flourished and the fertile land produced abundant crops, particularly grapes. The population consisted of merchants, sailors, potters, farmers and slaves. The potters produced amphoras for packing the commodities of trade and souvenirs for the many visitors to this famous city. The people avoided war so successfully that the city was neither razed nor burnt for nearly 1400 years.