Linden, boxwood, and walnut were sawn, carved
and shaped into boats, ships, houses, carved
shutters and ceilings, and the 17th century
writer Evliya Çelebi records that galleons were
built here. Even today boat building remains
a flourishing trade at Bartın, Kurucaşile, Tekkeönü,
Kapısuyu and Amasra.
The centre of Bartın was bustling with shoppers
and tradesmen. People were quenching their thirst
at the fountain built in 1912 by the sea captain
Karakaşoğlu Hacı Arif Kaptan. Known as Kavşak
Suyu, this spring water is renowned for its
fine flavour. On Tuesdays and Fridays women
from the locality set up their stalls and sell
home-grown vegetables and fruit, milk and home-made
yoghurt at the Garıla or Women's Market. Historic
buildings in the town include the old two-storey
stone han with 18 rooms, known as Taşhan, where
merchants transacted business in Ottoman times,
and the later Dervişoğlu Han, built in 1897.
The latter is a red painted building which has
recently been restored.