- Another opportunity from Miles&Smiles! Shop at Bimeks and earn miles!
- Hertz joins Miles&Smiles new program!
- Here’s to many more flights with AnadoluJet
- Turkish Airlines is ‘best airline’ in Southern Europe
- Europe’s only four-star airline in all categories
- Turkish Airlines Intensive Middle East Events
- Turkish Airlines makes net profit of TL 1,134 million in 2008
- The 16th world basketball championship
12th International Istanbul Puppet Festival
This festival, which up to now has brought audiences a wide array of 150 puppet and shadow theater groups not only from Turkey but from countries as disparate as Argentina, Norway, Japan and Iran, is welcoming audiences this year at the French Culture Center and Kukla Istanbul on Taksim Square, Profilo Culture Center in Mecidiyeköy and Sultanahmet Square and, on the city’s Asian side, at the Caddebostan Culture Center and the Ümraniye Square Shopping Center.
With the backing of the Istanbul 2010 European Capital of Culture Agency, this year’s festival is dedicated to the memory of Prof. Dr. Metin And, who made significant contributions to traditional Turkish theater, the cornerstone of the history of theater in Turkey.
This year as every year, the festival features examples of traditional and modern puppet shows from a number of different cultures. A documentary film, made by Larry Read, will also be shown, illustrating an Indonesian shadow play artist and Metin Özlen’s Karagöz production and puppet operating techniques. In addition to three separate documentaries to be shown about Karagöz artists in Turkey (Shadow Master, The Life of Shadow, and Imagination), a Mediterranean Puppet Symposium and workshops to be held in various parts of the city constitute the other attractions of this year’s festival, which includes seven shows by five groups from Turkey and sixteen foreign groups from ten different countries.