- King Kevin On Stage
- What Lurks Behind The Door?
- Artists At Work
- From Polar Bear To Dead Coral
- Films For An October Mood
- 50 Years In Germany
- Half A Century Of Cinema…
- Honoring The Republic
- The Women Behind The Camera
- Hold Your Breath! We’re Going Diving!
- A Book With The Scent Of The Sea
- Elif Şafak’s London
- One Country Three Cities: Ukraine
- City With Natural Air Conditioning: Erzurum
A Book With The Scent Of The Sea
ÖZKAN GÜLKAYNAK IS A SOURCE OF PRIDE FOR TURKISH CIVIL NAVIGATION. IN HIS LATEST BOOK, WEST OF THE LINE OF FREEDOM, WRITTEN WITH TURKISH AIRLINES SPONSORSHIP, GÜLKAYNAK SHARES WITH READERS HIS EXPERIENCES ON THE HIGH SEAS.
Özkan Gülkaynak has known the sea since his boyhood in Izmir, where he was born and grew up and fell in love with navigating the Aegean’s turquoise waters, now to Foça, now to Çeşme in his small boat. It was a love time could not quell. A love and yearning for the unknown that only intensified with time. Crossing the English Channel during his student years in England, a day would come when Gülkaynak would feel ready to circumnavigate the globe.
STRAIGHT ON TO THE HORIZON
West of the Line of Freedom tells the inimitable story of a man’s battle on the high seas using no communication or navigating devices, a struggle to survive using only his native intelligence and skills. The struggle of a man who himself is part of the nature he is up against, it relates in delightful language the fascinating aspects of the oceans and seas of the world and of knowledge gleaned almost surreptitiously from its myriad peoples.
DETAILS FROM WEST OF THE LINE OF FREEDOM
Özkan Gülkaynak encountered a host of fascinating experiences on his world tour of thousands of miles. Here are just a few of them:
• Colliding with a whale in the open seas off Indonesia in the night.
• Growing bean sprouts on ship. Obtaining drinking water by natural methods.
• Navigating an ocean crossing using only the stars.
• Sailing through giant waves.
• Encountering Turkish warships in the harbor at Oman.