- Welcome Aboard
- Istanbul’s 1,600 Year-Old Harbor Theodosius
- Eber Lake
- Istanbul is Ready For The Onslaught
- 2010 World Basketball Championship
- Is Istanbul the world’s new fashion capital?
- Haluk Bilginer
- Games Of The Digital Age
- Underwater Hockey
- The tastes that flew away
- The Taurus Mountains
- A New Address for Art: Istanbul
- Cultures At The Cinematic Crossroad
- 1001 Documentaries
- Beautiful, but does it work?
- A Journey Through Historic Ankara
- Love By Any Other Name
- Could This Be The Last Album?
- Warm Winter Concerts
- Three Exhibitions In Berlin
- Mountain Films En Route To Paris
- A City An Author
- Russia Facing Europe
Cultures At The Cinematic Crossroad
The cinema and history meet opens with ‘Amelia’, the bio-pic of legendary female pilot Amelia Earhart .
‘Amelia’, by awarded director Mira Nair of ‘Monsoon Wedding’ and ‘Mississipi’ fame, opens the 12th annual Istanbul International Meeting of Cinema and History, with the traditional support of the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, between December 11-17. The films will roll under the theme ‘European Cultures meet in Istanbul’. ‘Amelia’ is headlined by Hillary Swank, Richard Gere and Ewan McGregor, as the film follows Amelia Earhart’s disappearance during an attempt to travel the perimeter of the world along the Equator. Other significant titles include a screen adaptation of Cormac McCarthy’s bestselling novel ‘The Road’, Claire Danes’ recent ‘White Material’ and royal bio-pic ‘The Young Victoria’.
A devoted section, ‘Silverscreen eyewitness: A look at Polish Cinema’, will highlight developments in Polish cinema. The selection includes classic films such as ‘The Ring with the Crowned Eagle’ and ‘In Full Gallop’ as well as contemporary fare like Jacek Borcuch’s ‘All That I Love’.