- Mosaic City: Hatay
- Europe Is Looking For Its Champions
- Hiking On Bodrum Peninsula
- A Spoonful Of Soup
- Edinburgh Festival City
- Big Dreams In Basketball
- Bigger Than Life: India
- Experiencing Ramadan in Istanbul
- How To Eat During Ramadan
- Being The Best Of Europe...
- Istanbul’s Uncharted Streets
- Everything Is Going To Be Turned Topsy-Turvy
- The Future Of Musıc Is In Venezuela
- What Do You Know About Zagor?
- On Contemporary Colombian Art
- Linking The Two Shores Of The Aegean
- Unesco Recognizes A Mimar Sinan Monument
- The Hittite Way In 17 Courses
- Istanbul Fashion
- Kassel, Cradle Of Contemporary Art
- Before THE Seasons ENDS
- Su Yücel’s Datça
- 7 Countries 7 Kinds Of Body Language
- Three Flavors Three Italian Cities
- Three Days In Dreamland Cappadocia
Su Yücel’s Datça
Su Yücel’s Datça
SU YÜCEL IS A PAINTER KNOWN FOR THE VOLUNTEER PAINTING WORKSHOPS HE HAS SET UP ALL OVER ANATOLIA. WE ASKED HIM ABOUT HIS BELOVED DATÇA.
How do you picture Datça in your mind?
Datça is a splendid fusion of mountains and sea, and very picturesque. A place where base desires lose all meaning in the face of the splendor of nature and history. The wisdom that is Knidos invites man to take a lesson. And the quick play of light and shade washes your eyes with a thousand colors. The hills can take on a different hue in less than an hour, leaving your eyes astonished.
Is all Datça nothing but windmills and almond blossoms?
No way. The mountain goats, Datça dates, olives, wild thyme and isolated windswept coves must all be added in. Spring comes early to Datça. When the almond trees blossom at the end of February, it’s as if the hills are veiled in white tulle.
Thyme, Karabaş, watermelon tea… Which one should be drunk at the old Datça coffeehouses?
Dozens of varieties of thyme grow on the Datça Peninsula. They are used to make very flavorful and therapeutic infusions. The rustic coffeehouses at Reşadiye overlooking the unspoiled valleys are very pretty too.
Are there any major events at Datça this summer?
The Can Festival is being held on August 12, to mark the anniversary of the death of poet Can Yücel. The seed has been selected the main theme of the event, which will include poetry readings, panel discussions and a number of theatrical performances.
1. Bougenvillea adorns Datça’s shores.
2. The local almonds are extremely tasty.
3. The Mehmet Ali Ağa Mansion at Reşadiye is an elegant work of Ottoman architecture.
4. The door of a typical Datça house.