Customer Service Plan
Turkish Airlines values all of its customers and is continually working to improve its services and to offer the safest and most comfortable trip to every customer.
The following Customer Service Plan provides a summary of the actions taken by Turkish Airlines to assist its customers.
This Customer Service Plan is applicable to services provided in the United States and in connection with scheduled flights to/from the United States by Turkish Airlines and has been adopted pursuant to U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations.
1. Offering the lowest fare available
For reservations made via Turkish Airlines’ U.S. website, U.S. phone reservation center, or U.S. airport ticketing counters, we will offer the lowest fares available through that booking channel, when you provide specific travel dates, flights, and class of service information. For reservations made via the phone reservation center or airport ticketing counters, we will also advise you if lower fares may be available through the website.
2. Notifying passengers of known delays, cancellations, and diversions
For flights that depart in 7 days or less, we will provide timely information about known delays of 30 minutes or more, cancellations and diversions (“flight status information”), within 30 minutes of our becoming aware of it, by:
- Providing flight status information through the website and upon request via the phone reservation center.
- Providing flight status information through announcements at gates and through flight status displays at airports in the U.S.
- Providing this flight status information through notification services (including e-mail), to the extent such services are offered by Turkish Airlines, to passengers who register on the website to receive e-mail updates.
3. Delivering baggage on time
We will make reasonable efforts to ensure that all checked baggage is available as soon as possible after a passenger’s flight arrives at the gate. In the unlikely event your baggage does not arrive at your destination with you, we will initiate a search and make reasonable efforts to return the baggage to you within 24 hours. In the further unlikely event that your baggage cannot be located, we will refund any fees that you have paid for its transportation (including fees for excess or overweight baggage). In addition, we will pay compensation for lost or delayed baggage as required by applicable international agreements.
4 [Reserved for future use]
5. Providing prompt ticket refunds
If a passenger has purchased a ticket that is eligible for a refund via the website, phone reservation center, or airport ticketing counters and the passenger makes a timely request for a refund, we will provide prompt refunds as follows:
- For purchases by credit card, we will submit the request for a refund to the credit card issuer within 7 business days of receiving your completed request for a refund. (The credit card issuer will refund the purchase price under the terms of the credit card agreement; your credit card statement may not immediately reflect the refund.)
- For purchases by cash or check, we will issue your refund within 20 business days of receipt of your completed request for a refund.
Refunds must be requested through the phone reservations center. A complete request for a refund may require information including your name, address, credit card number, ticket number, dates of travel, and origin and destination of travel.
Please contact your travel agent for refund requests for tickets purchased via a travel agent.
6. Properly accommodating passengers with disabilities, and other passengers in need of assistance
We are committed to offering convenient and comfortable service to all of our passengers, including passengers who require special assistance. For passengers with disabilities, we will comply with DOT regulations. We also offer certain services for children traveling alone, passengers who are pregnant or traveling with small children, and other passengers who may require special assistance.
While passengers may ask for assistance at the airport, there are, however, certain service requests which require advance notice. Please note that even in cases where advance notice is not explicitly required, we recommend that passengers inform us in advance of any special assistance requests so we can best be prepared to serve you. Such notification will help us plan ahead for your safe and comfortable travel. Please call 1800-874-8875 for further details.
We will make reasonable efforts to meet the requirements of passengers who require special assistance and also to ensure that the requirements of any passengers who require special assistance are met during a lengthy tarmac delay.
7. Compliance with the Contingency Plan for Lengthy Tarmac Delays
In the event of a lengthy tarmac delay involving a flight departing from or arriving at any U.S. airport, we will make every reasonable effort to meet passengers’ essential needs as described in our Contingency Plan for Lengthy Tarmac Delays.
8. Treating passengers fairly and consistently in the case of oversales
Occasionally we may not be able to provide a passenger with a seat on a flight, even if he/she holds a ticket and has checked in on time. This is called an “oversale” and can occur for reasons such as safety restrictions on the maximum weight that an aircraft can carry; an unplanned change in the size of the aircraft operating the flight; or if there otherwise are more passengers who have checked in and are prepared to board than there are available seats. Passengers denied boarding or involuntarily downgraded due to an oversale on a flight departing the U.S. are in most cases entitled to transportation on an alternate flight to the final destination and/or compensation, as required by DOT regulations. We will consistently follow DOT requirements and our own policies in the event of an oversale, including by asking for volunteers before denying boarding or involuntarily downgrading any passenger, and by providing a written statement to each passenger denied boarding which describes his or her rights.
Please be advised to arrive at the airport two hours prior to scheduled departure for international flights.
9. Disclosing cancellation policies, frequent flyer rules and aircraft configuration information
The following information will be available via the website:
- Cancellation policies applicable to each type of ticket fare are displayed when purchasing via the website, and agreed to by the customer at time of purchase.
- The rules and policies for our frequent flyer program.
- Aircraft configuration charts, including the number of seats and the location of lavatories. (Aircraft configuration charts for flights operated by our codeshare partners may be obtained from their websites.)
Upon request, our phone reservations center can also provide this information, or identify its location on the website.
10. Providing information about itinerary changes
For flights that depart in more than 7 days, we will notify customers in a timely manner of changes in their travel itineraries (including changes in the scheduled departure time, as well as delays or cancellations) through notification services (including e-mail) to the extent such services are offered by Turkish Airlines, to passengers who register on the website to receive e-mail updates and upon request through the website and the phone reservations center.
11. Ensuring responsiveness to customer problems
We welcome the opportunity to address the concerns and opinions of our valued customers, while continually striving to improve our service.
Although we will make every effort to respond much sooner, at the very latest we will acknowledge, in writing, all written complaints within 30 days, and provide a substantive response within 60 days, in accordance with DOT regulations. We will also promptly respond to other comments and feedback. Information about how to contact us is available here or by e-mail to CUSTOMER@THY.COM .
12. Providing services to minimize inconvenience resulting from delays and cancellations
In the event of flight delays, cancellations or misconnections, we will make reasonable efforts to assist passengers in rebooking travel to their destination. As described above in sections 2 and 10, we will promptly notify to passengers of known flight irregularities and itinerary changes. Additionally:
- If rebooking options are not available and you can not arrive at your final destination on the originally scheduled arrival date due to an irregularity under our control, we may, at our direction, offer complimentary overnight hotel accommodations.
- If the cause of the problem is severe weather conditions and/or other issues outside of our control, in most cases complementary accommodations will not be arranged, but we will make reasonable efforts to provide information enabling you to secure your own accommodations.