At Turkish Airlines, we care about all your needs and expectations concerning excess baggage. If the weight and dimensions of the baggage you wish to take on your journey exceeds your baggage allowance, there is no need to worry. You can take advantage of our excess baggage tariffs and enjoy the benefits of traveling with Turkish Airlines.
You can find the current excess baggage tariffs for flights within Turkey and the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus in the table below.
Excess baggage charges for domestic flights
| ||Checked baggage allowance ||Excess baggage charge (1 kg) |
|Adult/child ||Infant || |
|Business Class ||30 kg ||10 kg ||8 TRY |
|Economy Class ||20 kg |
|Promotions ||15 kg |
In transit flights, excess baggage fee is 10 TRY per kilogram.
In our Northern Cyprus flights, 1 kg excess baggage fee for soldiers deployed in Turkish Peace Force at Northern Cyprus and students benefiting from Turkish Airlines related discounts is TRY 4.
Excess baggage charge for international flights
You can find the current excess baggage charges for flights operated by Turkish Airlines, or flights in which Turkish Airlines is the most significant carrier (MSC), in the table below. The MSC is defined as the airline flying the most significant and/or longest leg of the journey in accordance with the regulations of the IATA (International Air Transport Association). For joint flights, the baggage regulations of the airline company that qualifies as the MSC are applied.
Weight baggage concept excess baggage charges
You can calculate your excess baggage charges using the following steps:
- In Table 1, find the region of your departure and destination airport.
- Use Table 2 to calculate the excess baggage charge applicable between the 2 regions.
For example, you can use the following steps to work out the cost of 1 kg of excess baggage on a flight from Rome to Medina with a connecting flight via Turkey:
- Using the first table, find out which region Rome and Medina belong to. Rome is in Region 2 and Medina is in Region 4.
- In the second table, see the excess baggage charge (17 EUR) between Region 2 (Rome) and Region 4 (Medina).
- This is the charge for 1 kg of excess baggage on your flight from Rome to Medina with a connecting flight via Turkey.
Table 1 : Kilogram baggage concept regions
|Region 1: ||Region 2: ||Region 3: ||Region 4: ||Region 5: |
|Aleppo ||Alexandria ||Algeria ||Aalborg ||Addis Ababa |
|Athens ||Almaty ||Amsterdam ||Abu Dhabi ||Bangkok |
|Batumi ||Amman ||Baghdad ||Aden ||Denpasar-Bali |
|Bucharest ||Aqaba ||Baku ||Ahvaz ||Beijing |
|Chisinau ||Ashgabat ||Basel ||Al Qassim ||Cape Town |
|Constanta ||Astana ||Basra ||Bahrain ||Casablanca |
|Donetsk ||Astrakhan ||Batna ||Barcelona ||Colombo |
|Ganja ||Bari ||Benghazi ||Bilbao ||Dar es Salaam |
|Nakhichevan ||Beirut ||Berlin ||Billund ||Dhaka |
|Odessa ||Belgrade ||Bremen ||Birmingham ||Djibouti |
|Pristina ||Bishkek ||Brussels ||Bordeaux ||Durban |
|Sarajevo ||Bologna ||Cologne ||Copenhagen ||Entebbe |
|Simferopol ||Budapest ||Constantine ||Dammam ||Guangzhou |
|Skopje ||Cairo ||Düsseldorf ||Doha ||Hanoi |
|Sofia ||Catania ||Erbil ||Dubai ||Ho Chi Minh City |
|Thessaloniki ||Damascus ||Frankfurt ||Dublin ||Hong Kong |
|Tirana ||Dnipropetrovsk ||Friedrichshafen ||Edinburgh ||Islamabad |
|Varna ||Dushanbe ||Geneva ||Gothenburg ||Jakarta |
| ||Graz ||Genoa ||Helsinki ||Johannesburg |
| ||Hurghada ||Hamburg ||Isfahan ||Karachi |
| ||Ivano-Frankivsk ||Hannover ||Jeddah ||Kathmandu |
| ||Kabul ||Karlsruhe ||Kazan ||Kigali |
| ||Kharkiv ||Leipzig ||Kermanshah ||Kilimanjaro |
| ||Kherson ||Luxembourg ||Kuwait ||Kuala Lumpur |
| ||Khujand ||Lyon ||London ||Lahore |
| ||Kiev ||Marseille ||Madrid ||Lisbon |
| ||Kosice ||Milan ||Malaga ||Male |
| ||Ljubljana ||Misurata ||Manchester ||Manila |
| ||Luxor ||Moscow ||Mashhad ||Maputo |
| ||Lviv ||Mosul ||Medina ||Marrakesh |
| ||Malta ||Munich ||Novosibirsk ||Mogadishu |
| ||Mazar-i-Sharif ||Munster ||Oslo ||Mombasa |
| ||Minsk ||Najaf ||Paris ||Mumbai |
| ||Naples ||Nice ||Riyadh ||Muscat |
| ||Osh ||Nuremburg ||Rovaniemi ||Nairobi |
| ||Pisa ||Oran ||Sana'a ||New Delhi |
| ||Podgorica ||Prague ||Santiago de Compostela ||Phuket |
| ||Rome ||Riga ||Shiraz ||Seoul |
| ||Rostov-on-Don ||Rotterdam ||St Petersburg ||Shanghai |
| ||Salzburg ||Sebha ||Stockholm ||Singapore |
| ||Samarkand ||Stuttgart ||Taif ||Taipei |
| ||Sharm El Sheikh ||Suleymaniyah ||Tehran ||Zanzibar |
| ||Sochi ||Tallinn ||Toulouse ||Lusaka |
| ||Stavropol ||Tlemcen ||Ufa || |
| ||Tabriz ||Tripoli ||Valencia || |
| ||Tashkent ||Tunis ||Voronezh || |
| ||Tbilisi ||Turin ||Yanbu || |
| ||Tel Aviv ||Ulan Bator ||Yekaterinburg || |
| ||Venice ||Vilnius || || |
| ||Vienna ||Zurich || || |
| ||Warsaw || || || |
| ||Zagreb || || || |
| ||Zaporizhia || || || |
| ||Krasnodar || || || |
Table 2 – Excess baggage charges (1 kg)
|Regions ||Region 1 ||Region 2 ||Region 3 ||Region 4 ||Region 5 |
|Turkey ||4 EUR ||6 EUR ||8 EUR ||11 EUR ||16 EUR |
|Region 1 ||8 EUR ||10 EUR ||12 EUR ||15 EUR ||20 EUR |
|Region 2 ||10 EUR ||12 EUR ||14 EUR ||17 EUR ||22 EUR |
|Region 3 ||12 EUR ||14 EUR ||16 EUR ||19 EUR ||24 EUR |
|Region 4 ||15 EUR ||17 EUR ||19 EUR ||22 EUR ||27 EUR |
|Region 5 ||20 EUR ||22 EUR ||24 EUR ||27 EUR ||32 EUR |
Piece baggage concept excess baggage charges
On routes where the piece concept is applicable to your baggage, calculate your excess baggage costs using the following guidance:
Flights with no stopover
For flights with no stopover, you can calculate your excess baggage costs using the following steps:
- In Table 3, find the region of the flight where the piece concept is applicable.
- In Table 1, find the region of the second part of the flight.
- The applicable charge per piece of baggage is in the place where these 2 regions meet in Table 4.
For example, let’s say you are flying from Buenos Aires to Baku without a stopover:
- In Table 3, find out which region Buenos Aires belongs to (Piece Region 1).
- In Table 1, find out which region Baku belongs to (Region 3).
- In Table 4, find the applicable charge per piece of baggage at the meeting point of Piece Region 1 and Region 3 (175 USD).
Flights with a stopover
You can calculate excess baggage charges for flights with a stopover in Turkey using the following steps:
- In Table 3, find out which region your departure airport belongs to (Piece Region 1 or Piece Region 2).
- Find the applicable charge per piece of baggage at the point where Turkey and your departure region meet in Table 4.
- In Table 5, find the baggage charge from Turkey to your next destination by looking up which region this destination belongs to.
- Add together all the charges for each part of your journey.
For example, let’s say you are flying from Buenos Aires to Kumasi, Ghana with a connecting flight via Turkey:
*Stopover: Where the waiting period for a connecting flight on a journey with more than one flight is 24 hours or more.
- In Table 3, find out which region Buenos Aires belongs to (Piece Region 1).
- In Table 4, find out the applicable charge between Piece Region 1 and Turkey (160 USD).
- In Table 5, find out the cost between your next destination, Ghana (Piece Region 2), and Turkey (180 USD).
- By adding these 2 charges together, you can work out the total cost, per piece of baggage, for your flight from Buenos Aires to Ghana with a connecting flight via Turkey (340 USD).
Table 3 – Piece baggage concept regions * In addition to the countries listed in the piece region 2 column, this region also includes all other destinations not listed in the piece region 1 column. For example, while New York is in piece region 1, Sacramento is in piece region 2.
|Piece region 1 ||Piece region 2* |
|Abidjan ||Angola |
|Abuja ||Argentina |
|Accra ||Benin |
|Antananarivo ||Brazil |
|Asmara ||Burkina Faso |
|Atlanta ||Cameroon |
|Bamako ||Canada |
|Banjul ||Chad |
|Boston ||Columbia |
|Bogota ||Comoros |
|Buenos Aires ||Cuba |
|Cancun ||Democratic Republic of Congo |
|Caracas ||Gabon |
|Chicago ||Ghana |
|Conakry ||Guinea |
|Cotonou ||Ivory Coast |
|Dakar ||Interline destinations |
|Douala ||Japan |
|Free Town ||Madagascar |
|Havena ||Mali |
|Housten ||Mauretania |
|Kano ||Niger |
|Khartum ||Nigeria |
|Kinshasa ||Panama |
|Lagos ||Senegal |
|Libreville ||Sierra Leone |
|Los Angeles ||Sudan |
|Luanda ||The Seychelles |
|Mahe Island ||United States of America |
|Mauritius ||Venezuela |
|Mexico City ||Venezu |
|Miami || |
|Moroni || |
|Montreal || |
|New York || |
|Novakchott || |
|Niamey || |
|Osaka || |
|Ouagadougou || |
|Panama || |
|Pointe Noire || |
|Port Harcourt || |
|Port Sudan || |
|San Francisco || |
|Sao Paulo || |
|Toronto || |
|Tokyo || |
|Washington || |
|Yaounde || |
| || |
Table 4 – Excess baggage charges applied per piece on transit flights
|Region ||Piece Region 1 ||Piece Region 2 |
|Turkey ||160 USD ||205 USD |
|Region 1 ||165 USD ||215 USD |
|Region 2 ||170 USD ||215 USD |
|Region 3 ||175 USD ||225 USD |
|Region 4 ||195 USD ||225 USD |
|Region 5 ||220 USD ||235 USD |
|piece region 1 ||260 USD ||310 USD |
|piece region 2 ||310 USD ||360 USD |
On journeys departing from Napoli (NAP) and Rome (ROM), and landing in Lagos, Kano, Accra, and Abidjan, Abuja and Bamako, transit passengers with excess baggage pay 150 EUR per piece of baggage which must not weigh more than 32 kg. For journeys with an Istanbul stopover of over 24 hours, the excess baggage charges in Table 3 apply.
Table 5 – Excess baggage charges for stopover flights
| ||Turkey ||Region 1 ||Region 2 ||Region 3 ||Region 4 ||Region 5 ||piece region 1 ||piece region 2 |
|Turkey ||10 USD ||40 USD ||45 USD ||50 USD ||55 USD ||65 USD ||130 USD ||180 USD |
Table 6 – Excess baggage charges for journeys between Niamey / Niger and Ouagadougou / Burkina Faso and Dubai / Beijing / Guangzhou
|Journeys between Niamey/Niger and Ouagadougou / Burkina Faso and Dubai/Beijing/ Guangzhou |
|Number of excess bags ||Nijer, Burkina Faso - Dubai, Beijing, Guangzhou |
|1st excess bag ||200 USD |
|2nd excess bag ||250 USD |
|3rd excess bag ||300 USD |
|4th excess bag ||350 USD |
|5th excess bag ||450 USD |
|6th excess bag ||550 USD |
|7th excess bag ||650 USD |
|8th and over excess bag ||750 USD |
For example, a passenger with 3 pieces of excess baggage traveling between Niamey and Dubai would pay 200 USD+250 USD+300 USD, making a total of 750 USD.
Table 7 - Excess baggage fees for all flights from/to Asmara (ASM)
|All flights from/to Asmara (ASM) |
|Number of excess bags ||Asmara (ASM) - All destinations |
|1st excess bag ||250 USD |
|2nd excess bag ||400 USD |
|3rd excess bag ||650 USD |
|4th excess bag ||800 USD |
|5th excess bag ||950 USD |
|6th excess bag ||1100 USD |
|7th excess bag ||1250 USD |
|8th excess bag ||1400 USD |
|9th and over excess bag ||1650 USD |
This is valid for travels up until 31 March, 2020.
For example, a passenger with 3 pieces of excess baggage traveling between Asmara and Brussels would pay 250 USD + 400 USD + 650 USD, making a total of 1300 USD.
The most significant carrier (MSC) is defined as the airline flying the most significant and/or longest leg of the journey, in accordance with the regulations of IATA (International Air Transport Association). The free baggage regulations of the MSC are applicable. If the most significant carrier on your journey is Turkish Airlines, you will benefit from our free baggage allowance regulations. However, if the MSC is another airline, the free baggage allowance rules of that company will apply.
- Before starting your journey, make sure that free baggage allowance is shown on your ticket.
- When traveling in Economy Class, each piece of baggage weighing between 23–32 kg will incur a charge of 80 USD at destinations with a free baggage allowance of 23 kg where the piece baggage concept is in operation.
- When Turkish Airlines is the most significant carrier (MSC) on journeys involving more than 1 airline, excess baggage charges for piece region 2 will apply on flights to/from destinations operating the piece baggage concept.
- If you exceed your free baggage allowance, your baggage may be carried on our next flights due to the operational capacity without notifying you.