Excess baggage fees may vary according to different criteria such as flight route, waiting time at transit point and the airline operating flight. You can access details about the method used for calculating excess baggage fee from our excess baggage page.
Excess baggage sales rules
- Only ticketed passengers can benefit from excess baggage sales service.
- Excess baggage allowance can be only purchased once via our online channels. Passengers who have previously purchased excess baggage allowance cannot re-purchase.
- Specifically, defined items such as sports equipment/musical instrument shall not be considered within the scope of excess baggage status. Allowances for baggage under special status can be purchased at sales offices.
- Minimum 5 kg or 1 piece, maximum 230 kg or 10 pieces of excess baggage can be purchased at one time via Turkish Airlines online channels.
- One piece of baggage shall not weigh more than 32 kg. Excess baggage purchased above 32 kg must be carried separately. Furthermore, the total of baggage’s sizes (width, length, height) must not exceed 158 cm.
- Excess baggage can be purchased via online channels for Turkish Airlines operated flights as from 355 days before flight until 2 hours left to flight.
- In case the weight of baggage is more than the sum of checked baggage allowance and extra baggage allowance purchased in routes applying kilogram concept, additional baggage fee corresponding to the weight difference must be paid at airport.
- On routes applying piece baggage concept, the maximum weight of 1 piece of baggage is 23 kg for Economy Class and 32 kg for Business Class. On these routes, USD 80 will be charged per piece for your excess baggage between 23-32 kg in Economy Class.
- Turkish Airlines excess baggage fees and rules apply for AnadoluJet flights having transit Turkish Airlines flights.
- AnadoluJet baggage rules apply for travels consisting entirely of AnadoluJet flights.
- Excess baggage cannot be purchased from online channels for travels made on more than one airline except AnadoluJet. Information regarding fees, terms & conditions specified for these flights can be obtained from sales offices.
- You cannot purchase extra baggage for infants. Passengers with a baby are allowed to carry a bassinet with dimensions not exceeding 115 cm in all flights. Baby strollers are accepted to aircraft hold free of charge.
- Excess baggage sales can be limited subject to aircraft capacity.
- Excess baggage sales for group passengers can be done only at counters.
Excess baggage change and refund rules
- You can refund excess baggage purchased from online channels at Turkish Airlines sales offices before flight.
- Excess baggage purchased from online channels cannot be refunded partially. If requested, passengers can refund their excess baggage allowances in all flights and purchase new excess baggage allowance for updated flights.
- Excess baggage allowance cannot be transferred to other passengers accompanying the passenger or other flights of the passenger.
- For passengers who have changed/reissued flights, excess baggage cannot be transferred automatically. If required, passengers can make refund for their former flights and purchase excess baggage for their new flights at Turkish Airlines sales offices before flight.
- In case of flight cancelation or change for reasons other than passenger’s own volition, such passenger can require excess baggage fee refund from sales offices within 1 year.
- In case excess baggage that do not comply with the rules of sales or carriage cannot be transported, refund shall only be made at sales offices before flight.
- No guarantee is provided for excess baggage transportation due to safety and operational reasons. In such cases, Turkish Airlines shall present the most appropriate alternatives.
- Unused excess baggage allowance cannot be refunded after flight.
- In case the passenger, who has purchased excess baggage allowance from online channels, upgrades to Business Class, excess baggage allowance can be refunded via sales offices.
General baggage rules
- You can access general checked baggage rules from our checked baggage page.
- Before flight, please make sure that your total baggage allowance is displayed on the ticket.
- Due to operational capacity, your baggage may be transported on our later flights without notifying you.
- Invoice for excess baggage purchase can be viewed from our e-Ticket & Invoice page.
Baggage applications on flights from/to USA and Canada involving more than one airline (interline)
- US DOT (US Department of Transportation) regulations apply on flights from/to USA involving more than one carrier (interline).
- CTA (Canada Transportation Agency) regulations apply on flights from/to Canada involving more than one carrier (interline).
- You can access more detailed information from our US baggage rules page.
Excess baggage rules for travels consisting entirely of AnadoluJet flights
- In case flight number is changed, purchased extra baggage and sports equipment allowance cannot be automatically transferred to new flight. You are required to apply to sales offices or airport sales counters in order to transfer purchased extra baggage and sports equipment to new flight or to refund the said.
- In case the weight of your baggage is less than the purchased extra baggage allowance, the unused baggage allowance cannot be refunded.
- Purchased and unused extra baggage and sports equipment allowance can be refunded within 2 years.
- One piece of baggage shall not weigh more than 32 kg.
- The total of your one-piece baggage’s sizes (width, length, height) must not exceed 158 cm.
- Purchased extra baggage allowance cannot be transferred to other persons.
- Rights and conditions applicable in special offers provided by AnadoluJet are not valid for baggage purchases made via Turkish Airlines channels.