At Turkish Airlines, we take great care to prevent unexpected situations from spoiling your trip. On this page, you can find information about the visa requirements of the country you are traveling to and which documents are necessary to ensure you have a problem-free journey.
For domestic trips, you can use the following documents as ID:
- National ID card
- Valid passport
- Driver license
- Marriage certificate
You can complete your check-in using any of these documents.
Most importantly, you must have a passport in order to travel abroad. If you are obtaining a passport for the first time or need to renew it, please remember the process can take several days.
Visa and other documents
The visa requirements of different countries may change over time. Therefore, when you are planning your trip, we suggest that you check the current visa requirements of the country you are traveling to.
We recommend that you complete your visa application at least 1 month before travel, as the process can take several days and vary depending on the country.
Some countries require personal information known as Advanced Passenger Information (API) or Advanced Passenger Information System (APIS) from all visitors. This information must be collected by the airline before the passenger boards the flight.
You need to provide this information during the reservation process so that time is not wasted at the counter during check-in and so that you are still able to use other self-service check-in options.
Information required for APIS:
- First name, surname (as written in your passport)
- Date of birth
- Passport number
- Passport expiration date
- Passport country of issue
- Country of residence
Additional information required for flights to/from the United States:
- Address of your accommodation on the first night
- Green Card number (if any)
- Redress Control Number (if any)
Who can access APIS information?
The APIS information you provide is only passed on to the relevant authorities of the country concerned and we do not share the data with any other person or organization.
How can APIS information be added?
You can add APIS information for tickets you purchase using the “manage my reservations” tab on our website.
According to new regulations, children can no longer travel by being registered on a parent’s passport. Children must have their own passports and you must also obtain a visa for them.
- Check your passport to make sure it has not been damaged in any way. Make sure no passport pages are partially or completely separated from the cover and that the laminate on the photograph page has not opened up or become detached.
- For international trips, make sure that your passport has a blank page for entrance and exit stamps.
- The information on all your travel documents (passport, ID, and ticket) must be the same. If there has been a name change due to reasons such as marriage or divorce, an official letter (marriage certificate, divorce certificate) relating to the passport renewal or amendment must be presented to an official during the journey.
- If your current visa is on the old passport (expired, empty page, old type passport etc.), you must contact the consulate of the country you are traveling to.
- As the passport validity period varies according to the country of travel, make sure that your passport is valid and that there is no damage (torn, scraping, wiping etc.) to your passport. The signatures must also be signed by the passenger.
- For visa-free transit travels through Germany, Turkish citizens must have a visa or residence permit for one of Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Japan, Romania, the United Kingdom, the United States of America or the European Union. At Frankfurt and Munich airports the duration of the transit hall use is maximum 24 hours. At Hamburg, Berlin and Düsseldorf airports the duration of the transit hall use is limited.
- In the case of a valid or invalid Israeli visa or entry-exit stamp on the passport, entry into some Arab countries cannot allowed.
- Passport is not obligatory when traveling to Ukraine and Moldova. Only the new type, chip Turkish identity is sufficient to have on your person. Our passengers under the age of 18 can enter this country with their new type, chip identification documents. Additional travel documents (consent letter) may be requested when traveling with a child, mother, father or anyone else.
- No passport is required when traveling to Georgia and the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. You only need to have your Turkish identity with you. Passengers under the age of 18 can enter these countries with their identity cards. For child passengers, additional documents (consent) may be requested from the mothers, fathers, or guardians who are travelling along. As of 01 September 2019, Turkish citizens visiting Georgia must be in possession of new chip identity cards. It will not be possible to enter Georgia with the outdated identity cards.